Where to begin. How about I try to keep the back story brief this time?
So far I have tried running the ArmA 3 linux dedicated server on:
- Debian 7 VM running on a Sun Fire x4140 server
- Ubuntu 12.04 Server VM running on a Sun Fire x4140 server
- Ubuntu 12.04 Server on a PowerEdge 2850
- Ubuntu 12.04 Server on a custom gaming PC: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P / Phenom II X4 965 black
None of these have panned out. The first three were abysmal in terms of performance. 10+ minutes – 1+ hour start up time, AI that lags literally seconds behind the player. Generally, these servers would start up and have a rating of 10-15 FPS on the server. On the last system, the map loads very fast — less than a minute. But depending on the scenario the game is unplayable. If playing Domination GITS edit, it’s playable and the server floats around 20+ – 30+ FPS. If playing Insurgency ALiVE, the server pegs at 2FPS and the AI lags seconds behind the players. I don’t know what to make of this. It’s unlike any other experience I’ve had with ArmA dedicated servers. Previously, they all “just worked” no matter how shitty my server hardware was. Now it seems even relatively recent vintage hardware is not enough.
The time investment of trying to get this far alone has drained most of my motivation to keep tinkering. I’m hoping that by documenting this I can save myself some trouble in the future if I decide to have a second look.
In a previous post, I explained that while I was able to correct one major problem with BF3 after the 11-22 patch, I was now seeing a separate, more insidious issue where the game would lock up in between maps. I believe I’ve now fixed this as well by running PBSETUP and updating the game’s PunkBuster files manually.
I was able to partially resolve my Battlefield 3 issues (as posted here) by running a “repair” operation on the game from the Origin client. Numerous rounds of Windows Updates and driver updates didn’t help at all. Now the game seems to crash on map changes under certain circumstances, but I haven’t been able to isolate the problem yet.
In short, the game won’t launch post-patch (the Nov 22 patch). I’ve tried installing the latest AMD video drivers, and all of the current windows updates, to no avail. Now I’m going to try leaving it in this state (trying to launch) overnight to see what happens.
Been playing Brink a good amount since the release date. Don’t really have too much to say about it other than I like it. I wish they had linux server files for it so I could run it on my box here. In the meantime I’m examining the option of running it under wine.
I was busy yesterday overhauling some things here on the site. First and foremost, I’ve created a semi-formal Rules (located here) to address in advance potential issues with hosted services here on my server. I’ve already used these provisions once on my ArmA server which was my primary motivation for creating the Rules.
I’m working on cleaning up some other tasks that have been pending for a while, including a migration to a partial/full virtual domain setup for my MTA. This looks to be easier than I was expecting and hopefully I’ll have it completed tonight. As for other things I was doing yesterday, I cleaned up the gaming pages, fixed permalinks, and generally worked to improve and establish stuff that had been on my pending task list.
Just a quick note that I have a bunch of stuff to post/update but time has been at a premium lately and I haven’t had the opportunity to follow through. On the agenda:
- OpenBSD Projects
- Android SDK
- Eclipse IDE
- Atheros Wireless driver (ath)
- Battlefield Bad Company 2 critique
Not that anyone is exactly in anticipation of updated from me, but moreso as a non-mental note to myself that I need to come back and commit to paper, so to speak.